authors note:  This story takes place when T.K. and Kari are in highschool.  I would probably say around the eleventh grade.  It is my first attempt at trying to be funny (accent on the 'trying' part) so be kind. ::grin::
same disclaimer as on the main page...blah blah...no money...blah blah...don't sue me okei...blah blah...you get the hint.

Boredom

Must stay awake...eyes must stay open...must stay awake

T.K. was now using his fingers to prop his eyelids open.  This had to be one of the most boring classes he had ever had the horror of sitting through.  His mind had actually shut down 15 minutes into the lecture.  Now as the teacher droned on he noticed that he wasn't understanding anything.  The prof's lips were moving, sound was coming out, but what language was being spoken was totally beyond him.
Suddenly he noticed a folded piece of paper on the corner of the desk.  He picked it up and unfolded it. It said; I don't know if it's the prof or this classroom, but I'm about to lapse into a coma.
T.K. turned and smirked at Kari who was sitting beside him.  He quickly jotted down an answer and passed it to her.  Kari actually snorted when she read what he wrote.  Which of course got the prof's attention.
"Is there something funny, Miss Kamiya?" he asked sourly.
Kari actually turned a few dozen shades of red. "Uh...no.." she stuttered trying to hide the note, but it was too late.
"Perhaps you'd like to share that with the rest of the class," he continued, advancing on her.
"No, I don't think they'd really be interested," she tried weakly, pleading with T.K. with her eyes to help her.  He just shrugged, sinking deeper into his desk.  Feeling defeated she handed the note over to the teacher, who quickly unfolded it and read it aloud to the class.
"This isn't a classroom," he read, "it's Hell with flourescent lighting."
The class erupted in giggles.  Unfortunately the prof didn't think it was very funny.
"Miss Kamiya, I think you'd better take a walk to the principals office."
"But that's not fair--" she started, glaring at T.K., who was sinking even further into his seat, shaking his head desperately. If I'm going down, you're coming with me, she thought. "T.K.'s the one who wrote it."
"Well then, I guess he'll be joining you on your little walk, won't he?"
"Yes sir," they both answered staring at their feet as they trudged out of the class.  The others were still laughing, and it took a good 10 minutes to get them back in order again.

*****

"I can't believe you ratted me out," T.K. started as soon as they were out of the class.
"If you think I was going down on my own for that one--" Kari retorted.  "Think of it as a gift," she continued, with a mischevious glint in her eyes.
"Oh?" he asked a little worried now.
"At least we got out before our minds had completely abondonned us," she grinned
"I guess you're right about that," he conceded with a smirk.
   When they explained to the principal what had happened all the principal could do was laugh.  Apparently he had had to sit through one of this teacher's lectures before.  Unfortunately he still had to give them a day of detention.

*****

"Yolei?? How did you end up here?"  Kari asked when they got to the detention room.
"Do you really wanna know?" she sighed.
"I do now," she responded with a grin.
Sighing, Yolei told them how she had been following a cute guy around and accidently ran into Davis.  Davis of course began to tease her mercilessly, so she started to insult him.  By this time she was really angry, so when Mr. Tokita made the passing comment about getting more boys if she was nicer--
"So I told Mr. Tokita that I would try to be nicer if he would try to be smarter," she finished.
By this time Kari was positively falling out of her chair laughing. T.K. wasn't much better off as he was wiping tears of mirth off his face.
"So how did you two end up in here?" Yolei asked, glaring at them. 
Kari was able to speak first.  "T.K. wrote a note to me saying that Mr. Kawigama's class was Hell with flourescent light, and he read it aloud to the class."
"Boy," Yolei said with a snort, "I'll bet he wishes that he had read that to himself first."
Just then, Kari's d-terminal beeped.  It was from Davis, saying that they were going to hang out in the digital world.  Kari wrote back and told him that she, T.K., and Yolei wouldn't be able to go coz they all had detention.
You've got to be kidding, he wrote back, usually I'm the one who ends up stuck in there. Oh well.  Say hi to Mr. Kawigama and Mr. Tokita for me. -Davis
"What's wrong?" T.K. asked when he saw Kari pale.
"You guys aren't gonna believe this, but Davis says that Mr. Kawigama and Mr. Tokita or the ones doing detention watch today."
Yolei's eyes widened with fear and T.K. became almost as pale as Kari.  They all became colours to rival chalk when detention watch came in.
"Ah..T.K., Kari, how nice to see you again," Mr. Kawigama said with an evil grin. "I hope this classroom isn't too Hell-like for you." The two of them tried to slide under their desks, but he just continued, "Seeing as you both missed the end of my lecture, I'll be glad to give it again, to help pass the time."
It was Yolei's turn to laugh now, watching the two of them squirm like that.  Her laughing came to an abrupt end when Mr. Tokita turned towards her.
"Obviously I haven't become any smarter yet, because you haven't become any nicer."
Turning scarlet, Yolei was now trying to fit under her own desk.
And so the next two hours of torture began.

*****

"MomI'mhomeandTKisstayingfordinner."
"What was that honey?  I can't hear you when you mumble like that."
"I said; Mom I'm home and T.K. is staying for dinner," Kari repeated practically snarling.
Her mom's eyes widened in surprise at her tone, but seeing that T.K. didn't seem to be in any better of a mood, she didn't ask.  Tai on the other hand had no such reservations.
"Gee Kari, you're awfully late. How come?" he asked with mock innocence,  "Did you enjoy your stay in Hell?" he finished with a snicker.
"Shut up, Tai!" she snarled.
Seeing that Kari was really not in a good mood, he let it drop.  T.K. still had yet to say anything.  So Tai turned on him.
"Hey!! What's the matter? Gatomon got your tongue?"
"Talk can't mind numb brain overload."
Wow, Tai thought, that must have been some detention.

*****

   After they had finished eating, Kari seemed to have regained some of her good mood, and T.K. had finally become coherent again.
"I'll just call my mom to let her know where I am," T.K. said as they were cleaning up.  When she wasn't home, he called her cell phone.
"Oh, T.K., honey, I'm so sorry but I won't be making it home until really late tonight, do you think you'll be ok?  Maybe you should go and stay at your dad's."
"I would Mom, except that Dad's out of town with Matt, hold on a second," cupping the phone he turned to Kari with a mischevious smirk, "Do you think it would be ok for me to spend the night?  My mom's worried that she won't be able to make it home tonight."
Kari turned to her mom, mouthing no,  but she either didn't see her, or pointedly ignored her and nodded and said that he could sleep in Tai's room.
"Hey Mom, Kari's mom said that I could stay here."
"Oh! That's good.  Now you behave alright?"
"Yes mom," he replied rolling his eyes, hanging up a short time later.  "Thanks, Mrs. Kamiya."
"That's ok, T.K., I wouldn't want for you to have to spend all night alone," she answered with a smile.  For some reason, that made Kari blush.
"Well we have homework to do, don't we T.K.?" she turned on him with a pointed look.
"Uh--yeah, that's right, homework, let's go do our homework," he replied with a bit of a stutter.  Kari practically dragged T.K. to her room.  Once inside she turned on him.
"Do you realize what's gonna happen when Davis hears about this!?" she hissed at him.
"Yup," he smirked.
Kari couldn't help herself, the giggles just seemed to come bubbling up.  Soon they were both on the ground gasping for air, laughing harder than they could imagine possible, and neither having even the slightest idea why.
When they finally stopped, the just sat there and stared at each other.
"So..." Kari started.
"So..." T.K. answered.
"What do you feel like doing?" she asked.
"I don't know, how about playing a game?"
Kari's eyes lit up, "Let's play Dare!!"
"Oh no you don't!!!  Do you realize how much trouble you got me into last time with that--"
"I dare you to  kiss me," she cut him off.
T.K.'s eyes widened further than Kari thought possible, then he answered with a grin, "Well in that case--"
But just as their lips touched they heard a knock on the door.  They both jumped to opposite sides of the room.
"Co--Come in?" Kari stuttered out.
"So how's the homework going?" Tai asked sarcastically.
"Shut up, Tai," Kari retorted blushing.
"Oh?" he asked with a raised eyebrow, "now why would you be blushing, Kari?  You never blush," he continued with a growing smirk.  "Well I'll just go now, I think I hear my d-terminal beeping, it must be Davis writing back.  I wonder what he has to say--"
"You didn't!?" Kari's eyes widened.  T.K. had already snuck out of the room and returned with the beeping d-terminal.
"He did," T.K. answered after he read the message from Davis.
Kari ripped the d-terminal out of his hands.  "Oh Tai," she moaned, "Davis is gonna kill himself tonight!"
"No he won't," Tai replied, "I told him T.K. would stay on his side of  your bed."
"Tai!!" they both exclaimed blushing madly.
"Relax," he said with a chuckle, "I'm just kidding," he called beating a hasty retreat as Kari threw a pillow at him.
"Now where were we?" asked T.K. with a wolfish grin after Kari had closed the door behind Tai.

*****

"Kari, your knees are jabbing into my ribs."
"Hmghph??" came a sleepy reply.
"Kari," T.K. tried again, pushing her knees down.  Suddenly uncurled from the little ball she had been in, Kari startled awake and drew her knees up quickly.  T.K. let out a groan and curled into a ball himself. Realizing what had happened, Kari apologized profusely.
"Don't worry about it," he gasped out, "it's you who won't be having children now."
"Don't you think you're jumping the gun a little?" she asked.
He grinned, "Not according to what the school's gonna think when they hear about this, and believe me, knowing Tai, they'll definately hear about this."
"Look, I really think they'll understand, it's not our fault that Tai blew a fuse and we've had no power for 6 hours.  It's cold in here!!  And we couldn't expect you and Tai to curl up together, now could we?  And we're not mean enough to make you sleep on the floor.  Besides, you'd think that having about 8 blankets between us would be enough."
"Not for your pointy little knees."
"Oh, will you two shut up and go back to sleep already," Tai grumbled from Kari's other side.  The three of them were all sleeping on the queen sized sofa bed with about a bazillion blankets, trying to keep warm.  It was so cold in the house that you could see your breath in front of your face.
"Sorry," they replied together.
"If you're gonna curl up in a ball like that, you could at least face the other way," T.K. whispered.
"Oh, all right," Kari muttered, rolling over and going back to sleep.

*****

Morning held an interesting sight for Tai when he woke up.  Sometime after they had gone back to sleep, T.K. and Kari had curled up together and T.K. had his arms around her.
"I'll bet they aren't cold anymore," Tai muttered under his breath.  He picked up his d-terminal and began typing with a huge grin on his face.

*****

"Hey T.K.! It's about time, man!"
"Way to go, Kari!"
"I always knew you two were meant for each other!"
"T.K. I'm gonna kill you!!"
All day the twosome had been greeted by high fives and huge grins.  The last comment, however, had come, surprisingly not from Davis, but from his brother, Matt.
"Matt?!?" T.K. asked, shocked.
"What the hell to you think you're doing?!?"
"Relax Matt," Kari said soothingly, "everything's just been blown out of proportion.  Nothing happened."
"We are going out now, though" T.K. finished.
Matt's face relaxed.  "Oh, well then, congratulations.  But if I hear that you--"
"Matt!" T.K. exclaimed blushing.
"Well, you know what I mean," he called, leaving the school.  After he was gone, Kari turned to T.K.
"Boy, I was expection rumours, and I have to admit, it's kinda funny.  But I'm kinda curious about what went around on those d-terminals."
"Don't worry about it, Kari.  That's what happens when people get bored."
They both shared a snicker at that.

Finis.

So whadaya think?!?  It's my first attempt at something somewhat humourous...let me know if I should go back to being depressing...::grin::
send feedback to takarigato@lycos.com

Return to Fanfics

Return Home Return Home

Copyright Takari 2001